The tetrahedron in the hand of the right moon being seeming almost arcane, shifting in multiple dimensions.
The moonowlith illuminating the rest of the scene as you can see the dome closed around it.
This trilogy of paintings in four pieces is made on canvas,
special hinges allow the paintings to be seperated or even placed in a light curve.
This was the big piece I've been working on since I heard I had
an extra 4 meters to fill at my exposition.
Yet to be honest, since the last year of my art academy I have been designing this work.
And from that time till last summer I've been thinking about what material, what canvas to paint it on.
I've made small designs on mdf panel, even made a few small puzzle pieces of them. Yet for a big work, wooden panels usually do not work.
Yet frames for canvas won't work in such extreme angeles, especially the fourth piece is practically impossible.
I did find some frame pieces that could meet this challenge.
And though I couldn't find the previous store I got a few sample frames from anymore, I did find another store that had them.
So I spend weeks putting sawing the frames in the right size,
as you can see in a previous blog post, I even had to adjust my sawblade setup for such extreme angles, yet I made it work!
then came the slow process of applying thin layers of canvas.
And since it was a bigger piece, I used a bit thicker, tougher canvas.
This required more layers to get a nice smooth surface.
And a few taps here and there.
Also around this time I decided it needed hinges to connect the pieces.
Not just simple hinges, because that would permanently bind the pieces together.
I designed it to be playful, to be able to arranged, put together, not to be a static piece.
Thus I needed paumelle hinges, I believe in English they call it Hedgehog?
This allowed one to put them together into one piece and even place it on a table instead of hanging it on a wall as a free standing piece.
Or take them apart and put them on the wall individually. As the puzzle it was intended to be.
Of course, the scary thing was that I had to drill holes into the frames I just spend weeks fitting.
Luckily it worked out well after finding some hand drill and the right dremel drill.
Though a bit of smoke came from the hole, luckily it neither break or burn.
After that just more patience was needed in applying the first grey base coat of oilpaint layers and let it dry. Sketching and painting after was quite straight forward.
And as you see, the hinges can bend both ways, thus creation many possibilities for displaying it.